Friday 7 May 2010

Pre-Braces


So, last weekend brace-free for two years apparently. I have received both the Jet-Tone lip protector and the Comfort Covers in the post. At first glance I am more convinced the Jet-Tone is going to be more successful. It actually clips onto the arch wires, where as the comfort covers look like they are too flimsy to stay on with any pressure. A cornet player that uses pressure?! Shocking....

Got to get rid of those three bottles of red too, as I'm having ceramic braces and apparently the elastics are more likely to stain with red wine, coffee (gulp!) and red pasta sauce. Bang go three staples out of my diet then.....

What's all this in aid of you ask? Removing the 10mm gap between my top and bottom teeth, and hopefully removing the pain of playing from my front right tooth. The pressure causes it to hurt and wobble after rehearsals. I am worried if I don't do anything about it I will do some permanent damage.

Things I am concerned about?

- Not being able to play a single note
- Losing the ability to play on the front row at Cambridge
- Reaction of work (from parents as well as kids)
- Being constantly asked for ID (Yes, adults have braces too)
- It not working and wasting two years and a bunch of money.

Will it be worth it in the end? Who knows? Better than a life of 'what if', though, I guess :)

No comments: